Tuesday, November 16, 2010

No woman, and I sure don't see any tears

That song again.
Really, must it play on the radio?
One verse,
and I feel my stomach drop
like a roller coaster ride.

The cashier
looked at me wierd
as I was standing there
Arms holding back the butterflies
fluttering around my middle.
Tightly braced,
as if I'm broken into two fragments
that must be held together.
My brow furrowed,
my eyes blinking,
trying to push memories out.

A dusty cafeteria
buzzing with
orange shirts and laughter,
tin foil and robots,
and the low rythm of regae
softly playing in the background.
Both hands reached to cradle
just one of mine
then moved
to stroke my arm.
Bright eyes shining
into my eyes
and my ears
that voice sweetly murmuring
for me alone...

A shake of my head
as the song fades away
and your face disappears.
I'm left in the dark
that is confusion
and singing myself to sleep.

No comments: